Thursday, June 17, 2010

Homework? Seriously?

I thought I finished doing homework when I finished with school. But, NO!!! The last few weeks of school the kids were all given projects to do, which meant that mom was given school projects, too.

Chandler’s assignment: A book report. He read one of the Harry Potter books and did a great book report. Then, his idea for the project was to make a magic potion. He made a “Smarty-Tarty Potion”. It was dragon’s blood (pink lemonade with blue food coloring) and juice from the cotton-berry flower (green food coloring). If you drank the potion, it made you super smart for 4 hours. However, when your 4 hours were up, you forgot who you were for 3 hours. So, there was an antidote… a teardrop from a silver unicorn (Hershey's kiss). I thought this was a really fun idea, and it was ALL his. So I got all the stuff together, and helped him practice for when he presented it to his class. He said his class LOVED it because it was so original. So fun!

DSC_0075

Shelby’s project: The class was having a rainforest cafe. They’d been studying the rainforest, and were each given an animal to research. Shelby’s animal was the Scarlet Macaw. So we made one out of clay and covered it with colored feathers to make it look like the real thing.

P5060033

Then, the class had huge celebration complete with parent visitors to celebrate all they’d accomplished in researching and writing their rainforest animal reports. It was so fun to share that with Shelbs. You did a great job, Shelbs!

DSC_0099 (2)

Shelby asked me to make Macaw nest cupcakes for the celebration. We used chow mein noodles that we’d covered in chocolate and jelly beans. It was really simple, but looked really fun, and the kids loved them.

DSC_0077DSC_0079

Harley’s assignment: Research and do a project about a Triceratops. I admit that I was a little tired by the time we got to her project. So we went with the good ol’ fall back… a poster. She was excited to make it, and I figure we’ll have lots of years ahead for more interesting projects. :) She worked really hard, and did a great job of coloring all the fact papers we printed up. Good job, Harletta!

DSC_0081 (2)

Thankfully, school is over for this year. So we have 7 weeks to rest up before the teachers ask me them to do another project. :)

Great job on completing another successful year!

No comments: