Shortly after Christmas, my Grandpa, Karl Phillips Bird went into the hospital. After a few weeks of struggling to get healthy, he passed away in his home, on his 90th birthday. When it got to the end, we kept telling him that we didn't plan a party for him, so he could go ahead and go home. But, Grandpa always was a little stubborn. He lived an hour and a half into his 90th birthday. Then, he went home to be with the love of his life, Grandma Iza Draper Bird.
When I think of my Grandpa, a phrase comes to mind... "Enjoy the journey!" He was an amazing example to those around him of someone who could live life to the fullest. He traveled, and golfed, and loved learning about anything. At the age of 80, Grandpa joined a gym. He went to what he called, "the spa", multiple times a week right up until he went into the hospital. A couple of weeks before going into the hospital, he hired a personal trainer because he was "starting to feel a little weak."
Here's Grandpa in November, pushing Harley in the wheelchair he'd brought for himself to the Alzheimer's Memory Walk. I don't know that he ever got a ride. He was too busy pushing tired Great-Grandkids around.
He called himself a "wood butcher", but those around him saw his creations as treasures. He built anything you could imagine. We were always in amazement of the things he could engineer.
A cradle...
A marble roller...
Built in bookshelves...
Tables & chairs...
I can't say enough good about my Grandpa. He was an amazing man who taught us alot, but he loved us SO much! I'm so grateful for the last few days I got to spend with him. I will never forget the beautiful peace that was in his home, just hours before he died. I kept telling Eric that there wasn't anything I could do for him, but it gave me peace and clarity to be there.
Grandpa Bird was a huge part of my life. Growing up, he and Grandma never missed a concert, game, wedding, baptism, blessing, or anything else that we thought was important. They had almost weekly sleepovers at their house. I loved to sit at breakfast and listen to them tell stories about their life together.
I am so grateful for the knowledge that Grandma & Grandpa are reunited, and that someday I, and my posterity, can see them again. I look forward to the time when they can, once again, tell me the stories of their life together.
3 comments:
Beautifully put. The plan is amazing. Love ya!
He was such a wonderful man. I didn't realize how crafty he was. I was so sad to hear of his passing. He will be missed. Hope all is well.
What beautiful life he lead. So sorry to here of him passing, but so wonderful he is at home with his sweetheart. What an amazing man! xoxo
Post a Comment