Before school started in July, I admit, our family’s scripture study was hit and miss. When the new school year started, we committed to each other to get up every morning at 6:30, and do our family scripture study and prayer before starting our day. I’m here to tell you that… IT HAS CHANGED OUR FAMILY!!! If for no other reason, it gets us all in a peaceful state of mind before starting into our crazy days. It has helped Eric & I be able to better use the scriptures to parent the kids. Our testimonies are really growing…together! We are learning so much about the Book of Mormon, and those who wrote it.
Pres. Hinckley said, “There will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to his commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God.” I have really gained a testimony of what the Book of Mormon can bring to our lives and our families.
Last night, I had the most awesome night with the Young Women. We had an “Almost All-Nighter” complete with dinner, swimming, karaoke, snacks, manis & pedis, and the kickoff for the new Book of Mormon reading challenge that we are starting this week. We are so lucky to have such an amazing group of Young Women. They are GREAT girls who are really trying hard to make good choices. They are also SO much fun to be around!…added bonus!
So, we challenged these girls and leaders to participate in STOMP (Students Trying Out Moroni’s Promise). Moroni 10:4-5 tells us to read and “…ask if these things are not true.” This is our challenge to the YW.
STOMP is a 16 week challenge to complete the Book of Mormon. Each girl is assigned a team. Points are given for every day they complete their reading. Team captains are assigned to keep track of reading scores. Awards are given along the way to those who are caught up, and there will be mutual activities to correspond with what we’ve been reading. The girls were also asked to assign themselves an SOS (Source of Support). This is a person that they can tell about the challenge they have accepted, talk to if they run into trouble with reading, or ask questions about their reading. I think this will be a good way for these girls to start a dialogue with an adult in their lives about the Book of Mormon and their goals.
There are also “Celebration Stations” along the way. For example, after we get through Alma (which is a long…… section of the Book of Mormon) they will get a STOMP t-shirt. The schedule has us finishing on Dec. 30th with a few days after to get caught up for those who may have gotten a little behind. Those who complete the challenge will be invited to a STOMP celebration on Jan. 8th.
I am so excited for the YW to take part in this challenge. And I’m excited to keep learning more through our family scripture study. This is gonna be AWESOME!
If anyone reads this and wants to start the challenge, let me know and I’ll email you everything we have so you can finish by the end of the year, too.
Happy reading! :)
1 comment:
I'd love to see the "stuff" you're doing. Can you email it to me?
Post a Comment