This week was the anniversary of 2 of my grandparent’s death. Grandma “J” in 1996, and Grandpa Bird in 2009. I miss them both so much for different reasons…
Grandma “J” was a strong woman. The older I get, the more I realize the hard things that she endured in her life. It’s a miracle that she could carry on after some of her trials; Two of which were losing a child, and losing her husband. Both happened within a very short time frame, and at a very young age. I’ve known people who have lost one or the other, but she lost both. I can’t imagine the pain she had to endure. As long as I can remember, she was very frail. She was a tiny little thing who would constantly be applying chapstick with her shaky little hands. I loved her house. It was a small one in Provo. As I think back on it now, I wish I’d have realized how significant it was that we were visiting the very house my dad grew up it. I wish I would have asked more questions about the things that went on there, and what life was like for them in that house. Someone else owns it now and has made some changes to it, but I still love to drive by there when we go to Utah, and remember the good times there.
Grandma lived in Utah, and we’d visit her as often as we could. One particular trip will stick with me forever… Grandma had been sick, as she often was when we would visit. This time, she was at my Aunt JoAnn’s house, resting on her living room couch. I went in to check on her and she asked me to sit on the floor next to her and talk with her. She held my hands as we visited. We only talked for a short time, but I will never forget that moment. My Grandma, the woman who had endured so much, told me that SHE was proud of ME for how I had endured my trials. I remember feeling so connected to her at that moment. My trials were of a medical nature, and though I thought they were significant, they were nothing compared to the trials she had seen in her life. She told me that she wished she could make them go away, and that someday they might, and that I would be a better person for that. I wish I’d have taken that time to ask her more about her life and her trials. But, I didn’t.
She was a beautiful woman who raised a great family. I hope she is proud of the legacy she has left us.
Grandpa Bird… Well… there just aren’t enough words to express what kid of man he was. The best ones to use to sum him up are… ALWAYS THERE! Grandpa had this way of knowing about everything in our lives. He’d threaten to beat up boys who gave us grief. He’d attend every event we ever had, including sports, concerts, plays, birthday parties, etc… He was at every Christmas I can remember. He was involved up to his elbows in every project that we did, including our science projects, eagle projects, home improvement projects, etc… He had a new joke every time we’d see him, and mom would always have to ask if it was clean before he told it. He made the GREATEST homemade bread and chocolate chip cookies. He’d entertain us for hours with various woodworking projects when we’d have sleepovers. He was so generous and charitable, but he didn’t want to be noticed for being such. He was a tough old bat! I swear he lived into the wee hours of his birthday, just so he could say he lived to be 90! He was feisty, but that’s what made him so amazing!
For a long time, I was convinced that Grandpa was never going to leave us even though he had a bad heart for almost my entire life. He got sick occasionally and would require a trip to the hospital. Every time he did, we thought this would be his last fight. But NO! Grandpa would kick whatever it was and be back at the gym, working out, in a flash. He always amazed us!
The greatest thing about Grandpa was that he LOVED my Grandma! They had their fights, always referring to the quote, “Our marriage was made in heaven… But so were thunder and lightning!” However, we always knew that he LOVED her, and he proved that later in their lives. Grandma had Alzheimer's, and he was SURE that he could give her the best care she needed… and he was right! He did everything for her with such love. No matter how mad or upset she got, he would reassure her and love her back to feeling calm and peaceful. He cooked, cleaned, and cared for her in a way NO ONE else could have. When he couldn’t physically lift her or care for her, he found the best people he could to help him to continue to lovingly care for her. He was such a great example of how to love unconditionally!
A recent family reunion was referred to as a “genealogy trip”. I am so grateful for the genealogy trips and moments that we took often growing up. They gave us opportunities to connect with those who we’ll be connected to for the eternities.
We miss you Grandpa Bird and Grandma “J”, and we can’t wait to see you again after this life!
2 comments:
This was so neat, Em. I loved reading all of your memories. We are lucky to come from such amazing people.
Thank you for the tender post. Sometimes we felt bad that we couldn't take you to Disneyland or some great, expensive place. Now I see that trips to Utah and times at Grandma and Grandpas were a blessing and not a disappointment. We do come from amazing people.
Post a Comment