Tonight, after all the girls had gone to bed and the boys had left for mutual, Shelby came in to my room. She stood in the doorway and, fighting back tears, asked, “Mom, is Grandpa Bird lonely on his birthday?” What a sweet girl!
Today would have been his 93rd birthday. He died on his actual birthday 3 years ago. He was a great man, and we miss him all the time. Shelby is old enough to remember some of the fun times we had with him. And, on his birthday she was worried about whether he was happy. We had a good cry together, and talked about some of the memories we have of him. It was a very tender moment!
I know that he is happier now than ever before. Sweet Grandpa was reunited with Grandma, the love of his life, as well as all those he loved who have passed before and since him. I know that I can be with him again after this life. What a beautiful thing to look forward to! But, for now… We love and miss you, Grandpa Bird!
3 comments:
This gentle man was one of my favorite people. How special for you and your family to have been able to spend some quality time living with him for a time. I'm sure those memories will always be precious to you.
Thanks for the tender blog. I'm always so happy when people in the family think of Mom and Dad. I miss them every day. It's special to know that Shelby loves him and was worrying about him in her sweet way.
I love that picture of Gramps!
Post a Comment