Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Day 2012

Yesterday was election day. This was a big one... the Presidential election (among others). This time around we had a candidate that we really believed in. It's been a long time since that has been the case. It seems like it's often a choice between the lesser of two evils, but not this time. So, Eric and I walked over to our polling place at 6:45am, and were met with a nice line. I don't mind waiting in lines on election day. Plus, I like to get my sticker. *wink*

It was very disappointing when "our" candidate didn't win. However, I found solace in this scripture...

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy path."

I frequently rely on this scripture. It keeps my eyes turned upward, and my heart soft.

I also really appreciated this statement from our church leaders...

"The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued the following statement Tuesday:

We congratulate President Obama on winning a second term as President of the United States.

After a long campaign, this is now a time for Americans to come together. It is a long tradition among Latter-day Saints to pray for our national leaders in our personal prayers and in our congregations. We invite Americans everywhere, whatever their political persuasion, to pray for the President, for his administration and the new Congress as they lead us through difficult and turbulent times. May our national leaders reflect the best in wisdom and judgment as they fulfill the great trust afforded to them by the American people.

We also commend Governor Romney for engaging at the highest level of our democratic process, which, by its nature, demands so much of those who offer themselves for public service. We wish him and his family every success in their future endeavors."

I add my prayers to theirs, and will trust in the Lord!

2 comments:

LBJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LBJ said...

That scripture is my mantra. I had the missionaries write "Sister J's favorite" next to it in their scriptures.
And aren't we proud of the Church's and Romney's response to the election. Living in a land where violence is the answer to defeat or success, has made me even more grateful to be an American and a "Mormon."