Saturday, October 11, 2008

Millions of peaches, peaches for me...

Ok some will get my musical reference in the title. I had to smack Eric to keep him from changing it to a Steve Miller band line...anyway.

Last week we bought 3 boxes of UTAH peaches from a lady we know.(UTAH peaches are the best out there, except for the ones from Rik & Heidi's trees in Washington.) Eric kept laughing because he said we'd never be able to go through that many peaches before they went bad. I was planning to learn to can whatever we didn't eat. We ended up eating & sharing 2 entire boxes, leaving only 1 box to can. They were just soooo yummy!

I had never canned peaches before, and had no idea what I was doing. I was really nervous about it. So Eric helped me tackle the remaining box today. I've always heard that canning is a pain, but we were pleasantly surprised! We were able to do it all in just a few hours.

Here is the result...20 jars of UTAH peaches. Hopefully they'll get us through to next year when peaches are back in season...or maybe not!

PA110043

I'm actually looking forward to doing it again next year!

5 comments:

Corinne said...

I don't call you "Martha" for nothin'. I'm thoroughly impressed and even more impressed that Eric helped. How did you trick him into that one? :)

Chan said...

Moving to the country gona eat me alot of peaches.Oh yes I am.

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I love canning peaches! Probably my favorite thing to can!!! Good Job!!! So yummy. Here is was IN utah and my canning stuff? In a box somewhere I cannot find! Waaaa!!!! Probably with my missing underwear and skirt. Poo!

LBJ said...

Growing up in Utah, canning was big thing and I always thought it was lots of fun. Honestly! But all the fruit was free. You shared your peaches with neighbors and they share their cherries with you. etc. Apricots were my favorite. Nothing is as good has home bottled fruit. I tried canning a few times in Az with Az fruit. Not so good! Glad you enjoyed it and glad you have it. We'll be by sometime soon. Just let us know when you've got a bottle in the frig and icy cold.

Rachel Rogers said...

Emily,


I found your blog through Julie Cluff. It's so good to see what you and Eric have been up to! I showed it to Nathan (Nathan and Eric were in the same mission if I remember correctly!) and he loved seeing all of your kids! Congrads on all the peaches! They look yummy!