Monday, August 3, 2009

The truth hurts!

Sometimes I’m tempted to only post about the happy, wonderful, fun times that our family has. However, our life is not all happy…all the time. So if you don’t want to hear the painful truth about our family… stop reading now! :)

Chandler and Harley are so different, yet so much alike. Consequently, they fight ALL THE TIME!!! They know how to push the other person’s buttons, and they push them REGULARLY. This week before school one morning we had a “straw that broke the camel’s back” moment, and I admit that I LOST IT!!! If you’ve ever heard Bill Cosby’s version of what a conniption is… it was a little something like that. I’ll spare you the gory details. :)

As we gathered ourselves and FINALLY got headed for school we all seemed to simmer down a little, but there was definitely some tension in the car. As we got out and walked to their classes, I forced Chandler and Harley to hug each other and apologize before heading to line up. This is when I realized just how miserable it was for everyone else…

As we headed to Shelby’s class to line up, I said goodbye and started to walk away when I realized that her head was down and her hair was covering her face. I stopped her and said, “Shelbs, what’s the matter?” That’s when the flood gates opened. She started to cry—REALLY hard, and with her head buried in my shoulder said, “I just hate leaving with mornings like this!” OUCH!!!

P3280335My heart sank, and I realized that it wasn’t just Chandler and Harley that were making things hard. My conniption sure didn’t make things better—AT ALL!!! I guess sometimes it just takes the sensitive spirit of an 8 year old to bring us back to the real world. I HATE leaving with mornings like that, too. And, I’m going to try really hard to make mornings better… for everyone! Thanks for reminding me, Shelbs! Love you!

3 comments:

Corinne said...

I know the feeling. We have had quite a few of those days ourselves lately. Cute little Shelby. She's such a sweetheart.

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Ugh. It's the worst, isn't it? I don't like mornings like that either.

We've got 2 that are just on each other non-stop sometimes. We do a "Start Over Dance" That involves silly dancing, hugging and then shaking our bums. It is pretty much impossible to stay mad or have tension when your giggling about shaking your bum at each other. =P

You're sure not alone, Em.

LBJ said...

Isn't it hard being human! Trust Linsey to find a fun way out of a messy human moment. You remember, I was the conniption type. Sorry if I passed that on. A word of encouragement. When you're sixty, you don't remember too many of those days. Love you all! You're a great family, even if you have human days too.