Thursday, August 14, 2008

I think they're getting it!

Sometimes I feel like I'm drumming stuff into my kids' heads so much that I've turned into white noise in the background of their lives.

However, I occasionally get a glimmer of hope when they come home from school and have ideas like this...
Chandler came home yesterday and said, "Mom, I've got some really GREAT friends!" I agreed. He replied, "I need to make them some cookies or somethin' to tell them how much they help me." Soon Shelby jumped in and the next thing I knew, their lists of friends were complete. I was glowing with pride! They had recognized the need to serve those who had helped them.
So, as busy as my day was scheduled to be today with preschool plans, cleaning, calling responsibilities, running errands, etc.... none of that seemed to matter. The little girls and I spent the day making up plates of cookies for Chandler and Shelby to deliver to their good friends. And after getting settled after school, we headed back out to make the deliveries.
They both commented on how good they felt afterward, because they were serving someone else.
I guess the white noise makes sense sometimes after all...

3 comments:

Papa Kane said...

It's hard to believe how much your kids are growing up. Shelby is such the little woman now. Chandler must be getting ready to go on a mission.

Em, you are the reason your kids have a chance in life. It's great how you balance Eric out. (not that Eric is that bad....he's just not that good)

I LOVE YOU ERIC.....MUH HA HA

LBJ said...

Nothing is more rewarding than seeing your kids internalize the life's lessons you value and have tried to teach them. Cheers for Shelby and Chandler. And cheers too for my child, the Mom, who put kids first in her busy day and made cookies. I'm also a proud Mom.
Love you!
PS And the beat goes on--Dylan and I made cookies yesterday for him to take home to his family!

Jennifer Tassainer said...

OK Em, you are officially Mom of the Year! You are such a great Mom and your kids are so blessed! It's so exciting when you realize they have actually listened to something you've said! I think that happened to me...ONCE!