Monday, August 18, 2008

Where to begin...

We have had an interesting couple of weeks around here. We have had some really great experiences. Unfortunately, a lot of them couldn't be shared until today. Let me explain...

After having our ward boundaries changed a couple of weeks ago, we were anxiously awaiting new callings. After only a few days, they came, but we were asked to keep them "in the vault" until we could be sustained.

Eric has been called as the ward financial clerk. This is a great calling for him! After a few months of being the ward employment specialist in the old ward, he was starting to feel a little useless. He hadn't been trained, and had virtually NO contact with the Stake Employment Specialist. He was starting to feel very frustrated. With school starting up again on Wednesday, he was also a little nervous that a new calling would mean added responsibilities that would have to be juggled with school, work, family, house upkeep, etc. This new calling is perfect for him. He will really be able to make a big contribution on Sundays and then be able to focus on the other stuff during the week. (As a side note; we are excited to think of how great things will be when he finishes school in May. HOORAY!!!) So I am excited for him. This is something he will be great at!

As for me... well it's a little more complex. I have been called as the Young Women's President. Are you KIDDING me??? I'm NO Bev Taysom(my YW Pres.), and I haven't been in YW since I was a YW 13 years ago!!! I don't even know how it works! I admit when the call first came, I felt EXTREMELY overwhelmed. However, as time has gone on, I have had time to come to the realization that this is what life is all about. The Lord wants us to grow and progress. I know that I have been doing a whole lot of growing and progressing over the last couple of weeks. And now I realize that I don't have to be Bev Taysom. I have to just be myself. The Lord knows what I'm capable of, and He knows what these girls need. And for right now, that's me and my couselors and leaders.
I spent the first 4 days coming up with who my counselors, advisors, and such would be. After much prayer, I am certain that the woman who I'm surrounded by, are amazing!!! The more I talk to them, the more I see what they have to offer these girls, and what I can learn from them. I didn't really know any of them. In fact, I didn't even know what a couple of them looked like. But, I know that this is where we all belong, and that we'll all just figure it out together.
Anyway... After being set apart and meeting with the girls this Sunday, I am VERY excited to get to know these girls. They seem like they are SUPER girls! And I think we're going to have a whole lot of fun!!!

7 comments:

Lovin Family said...

Em, you are going to be the greatest yw pres. those girls are so lucky to have you! It's going to be tons of FUN!!!!

Corinne said...

I'm so excited for you guys. I'm glad you guys are excited about your new callings. You will both be great. And by the way, you go right ahead and show those girls you don't have to be scrapbooker to be a superwoman like you ;)

Jill said...

Talk about a "Welcome into the ward" That is so exciting. You will be such a wonderful YW Pres. Those girls are so lucky to have you.

LBJ said...

Being terrified is the Lord's way of helping you to seek the spirit and listen to His plans for the YW of your ward. You have all it takes to make this a wonderful experience for all concerned. We love and support you all, as always! You are a blessing to our family and I'm sure to your new ward too.

Ryan Jameson said...

Those YW are lucky to have you. You guys are both going to be so great in your new callings.

Jennifer Tassainer said...

I'm excited for your new calling! Having a YW of my own, I know how important those leaders are to the girls. You will be terrific!

gramyflys said...

Wanna talk about terror? Imagine me sitting in your Dad's Stake Pres. office and being called to replace ALICE ANDREASON as the Stake YW President! The first words out of my mouth were, "I'm not Alice." He said he was well aware of that. I just bawled. Nine years later when I was released, I considered that opportunity the best of my life for many reasons. The Lord KNOWS. You, Emily dear, will be the catalyst for teaching these YW to know and feel the Spirit because you are so close to it yourself. Someday, when their turn comes, they will say, "But I'm not Emily Stewart!" And so it goes...pretty good plan.