Monday, September 8, 2008

What a weekend!

Thanks to Grammy & Papa Jameson (and the help of many others), Eric & I were able to go to Washington this weekend to visit his brother Rik, his wife Heidi, and their 8 awesome kiddos. Seems a little random, but I'll explain...
10 years ago Rik was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (fancy term for Cancer in his lymph system that will never go into remission, no matter the treatment). Eric and I had only been married less than 2 months when we got the news, and it was uncertain what the future would hold for Rik and hid little family. That's a pretty scary thing to not know whether you'll get to spend another 2 years or 20 years with your brother. They've been in Spokane the whole time, and it's been hard to be away for both the good, and rough times.
Anyway... We got an email a couple weeks ago from Rik's amazing wife, Heidi, saying that she was going to throw him a surprise 10 year anniversary survival party. She was wanting everyone in the fam to write a little note for a book of memories she was making for Rik. When we heard about the party, we decided we needed to be there. So we made arrangements, let Heidi know we were coming, and headed for Washington.
The party was held at Heidi's parent's house. Can you believe this view from their back porch???It was a complete shock to Rik. He had no idea it was coming!Eric & I just hung back a while to let his friends all say congrats. After the initial shock of what was happening settled in, Heidi said, "Eric, why don't you give the blessing on the food." Then Eric stepped out from behind the friends, and there wasn't a dry eye in the room. Rik ran over and hugged Eric. That moment was worth every effort it took to get there! Doesn't look so "sick" to me! ;)
There were a ton of people there (I'd guess somewhere in the 150-200 range). And it was a GREAT time for everyone! Thanks so much to the whole Demars family for welcoming us, and for helping Heidi to make the party go down without a hitch! We are grateful that you are there for them.
We spent the next 2 days hanging with Rik and Heidi and the fam; mostly the younger kids. You know how teenagers are... ;) They took us around Liberty Lake, and showed us what a great place it is. And we spent alot of time just hanging out and chatting. We are so glad we were able to spend that time with them. It was sad to leave, but we're excited to see them when we cruise together in January. Hooray!
We love you, Washington Stewarts!!!

6 comments:

Corinne said...

I'm so glad you guys were able to go. I'm tearing up just reading about it. That must have meant so much to both Rik and Eric. Thanks for sharing.
Btw-We had so much fun watching your kiddos. We played a bunch of games which was so fun for Jameson. It's not very easy to teach him how to play when it's just me and him. Alex doesn't really get into duck, duck goose yet. :) We need to get together sometime now that Klint's schedule isn't so crazy.

The Hallidays said...

You don't have to brag about it you brat! :) Okay...so I am soooo jealous but I am equally glad that the AZ Stewarts were represented. I heard a bit about the surprise second hand but it was fun to read your version. I am glad you guys had so much fun. Thanks for blogging it so we could "be there" too. Love you girl!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I am so glad you guys were able to go!!! That is so neat! 10 years!?! I remember when he was diagnosed, that is so crazy! He looks fantastic! He looks very healthy! Glad you had a great trip!

Jennifer Tassainer said...

what an awesome surprise! That is so neat that you were able to pull that off! Thanks Grammy and Papa!

tmcluff said...

Ditto to what Tracie said. We all wish we could have been there. Thanks so much for sharing photos and your thoughts and feelings about it. You can sure see how choked up Eric and Rik are in the pics. I sure have some wonderful brothers don't I?
Love ya,
Tawnya

tmcluff said...

Ditto to what Tracie said. We all wish we could have been there. Thanks so much for sharing photos and your thoughts and feelings about it. You can sure see how choked up Eric and Rik are in the pics. I sure have some wonderful brothers don't I?
Love ya,
Tawnya