My life just got a whole lot easier… At the beginning of November I instituted monthly chores. Each child has 2 chores that they have to do every day for a month, and 2 chores they have to do once a week for a month. I realized that I was asking the kids to help with things, but asking them to help and having them respond is much different than handing the responsibility (and consequences, if needed) over to them to give them some ownership.
I made up 2 charts, so there couldn’t be any confusion. I’m especially pleased with my charts (I know they’re not very cutesy, but they get the job done!)…
I laminated them, and put Velcro on each section so that I can rotate the chores/month when we change to a new month…
Since starting this, my life has been a whole lot easier… and more productive. I’m able to get to the things that have been sitting around waiting for me, and I don’t feel overwhelmed by the mundane tasks of everyday living. The kids are really doing a great job of governing themselves, and our mornings are MUCH more pleasant. They know that if they don’t get their chores (along with their regular stuff like cleaning their rooms, brushing teeth, practicing piano, etc.) done before heading off to school, they don’t get any electronics after school. (I sound a little like a slave driver.)
So, long story—short… Mom is a happy lady when they all head off to school and I am left with a tidy home.
1 comment:
I finally came to the point where I was asking myself "why the heck am I doing this all on my own?" and made my kids a chore chart too...why I didn't do it along time ago??? I did the same thing with laminating and Velcro so it will last forever and they will be helping out forever!!!
Post a Comment